Friday, August 22, 2008

Five Minute Ice Cream (aka Creamy Fruit Smoothie)

I've been wanting to make ice cream lately but don't have the time after work. I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com called "Five Minute Ice Cream" that looked easy enough. I played around with the ingredients to try to make it a little less bad for me (no heavy cream, etc.). It was the consistency of a smoothie when it was all blended, and it was freaking delicious, but I decided to hold out until it had frozen before I really went to town. It was good, but not creamy enough. (Maybe because I didn't measure out the fruit when I dumped it into the food processor). It kind of reminded me of Baskin-Robbins' Daiquiri Ice, which I haven't had since about 1987, when it was all the rage amongst my seventh grade class. (A search of the web indicates the original is no longer available! My 13 year old self is heartbroken). So to finish it off, I just added more liquids and drank it like a smoothie. A delicious, thick, can't-get-enough-of-it smoothie.


Five Minute Ice Cream
Source: this recipe found at Allrecipes.com

1 (10 oz) package of frozen fruit (I used 1/2 bag frozen raspberries and 1/2 bag frozen mango)
1/2 cup sugar (I used Splenda, and poured to taste)
2/3 cup heavy cream (I used 1/3 cup FF Greek yogurt and 1/3 cup low fat soy creamer, which was surprisingly delicious)

Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth (unless you like the fruit chunky in your ice cream). Put into freezer-safe container and freeze for a few hours until it hardens, or add more liquids and drink immediately.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Now I have no reason to wait for homemade ice cream! :)

~Amber~ said...

It looks delicious, and so quick too. Thanks for sharing.