Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Filipino Pork Barbecue

Michael's mom makes great barbecue. Her sons request it fairly often, to the point that she doesn't really enjoy making it anymore. Still, it's a rare treat when we get to have it. A few months ago I bought a Filipino cookbook in order to learn some recipes on my own. Not wanting to steal Juanita's thunder, when I decided to make Filipino barbecue for Labor Day, I took to my cookbook, rather than asking for her recipe, knowing that it would not be exactly the same. (Plus, knowing the recipe so well, she just eye balls all of the ingredients, which would have been of no help to me).

This recipe consists of marinated, thin slices of pork, threaded onto skewers before they are grilled. Slicing the meat thin is the only part of the recipe that requires any skill; if you have a decent knife, it's easier than I expected. This recipe calls for three pounds of pork; since it would be just the two of us eating it, I cut up three pork steaks but used the same amount of marinade. That amount of meat produced 14 skewers.

I was a little iffy on the marinade before tasting it - wasn't sure about the ketchup. After repeatedly reminding Michael that "this is not your mother's barbecue," I was happy to discover that it tastes very similar to Juanita's version. So was he. In fact, he told me that was both good and bad for me - good that I made something so delicious. Bad that he'll now be requesting this regularly.

Pork Barbecue
Source: Phillipine Recipes Made Easy by Violetta A. Noriega
Serves 6-8

3 lbs boneless pork, sliced 1/4" thick, 2" wide
Bamboo or metal skewers

Marinade:
1/4 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1/4 tsp black ground pepper or to taste
3/4 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 cup ketchup

In a bowl, mix marinade together and let stand for 15 minutes. Marinade pork slices for six hours or overnight (the longer the better) in the refridgerator. Stir meat occasionally to evenly distribute flavor.

Prepare barbecue equipment. Soak skewers (if wooden) in water for at least an hour. Thread meat onto skewers. Placed skewered meat on hot grill. Brush marinade on pork during the course of cooking. Make sure meat is cooked through. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Mrs. Mighton said...

Yea! Thank you so much for sharing this. I am always on the search for Filipino recipes. I once found a recipe book that I really liked but I didn't end up buying it because it had all these ingredients that I know I'd never find here. Maybe I'll try your new recipe book. It seems very reasonable and sounds quite yummy! Thanks again for sharing! :-)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Ahhh... Pinoy BBQ. Nothing quite like these meaty sticks to scream summertime when I was younger! I know what you mean about feeling weird about the ketchup. Believe it or not, its used quite a bit in pinoy cooking because it combines the use of tomatoes and sugar... kinda like a shortcut (so my parents have told me!). These look great and thanks for bringing me back to my childhood :)