Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Spicy Polenta Tamale Pie

I know. From the photos, this doesn't look like much. Might not even look that appetizing. Oh, but it is. If you're a fan of tamales or polenta in general, and if you're dieting or not, this is a delicious and easy week night meal.



I'm actually looking forward to left overs tonight.


Spicy Polenta Tamale Pie
Serves: 6, 1 cup each

24 oz. Pre-packaged cooked polenta (comes in a plastic roll)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce (mild, medium, or hot) [I suggest you go with "hot" if you want this to live up to it's name - "spicy" - otherwise it will likely not be so.]
1 (11 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained [I didn't have corn so I subbed hominy.]
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 cup fat free cheddar cheese [I used reduced fat.]

Ellen's additions:
1 lb 93% lean ground beef
Chopped, frozen onions
1 small can diced green chilis

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8X8 dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut polenta into small cubes. Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and pour into prepared dish. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes*.

* This dish can be served even more quickly by cooking the meat (if you add any) in a large skillet, then adding the rest of the ingredients and simmering for 10-15 minutes. I've made this both ways and prefer the skillet method.

Per Serving (without my additions or substitutions): 263 Calories; 7g Fat; 7g Dietary Fiber = 5 WW points

No comments: